Hands up if you’re a creative freelancer or entrepreneur who has (or suspects you may have) ADHD. 🧠
If your hand is up, you’re in great company! While 7-10% of the general population has an ADHD diagnosis, the rate is estimated to be significantly higher in entrepreneurs and freelancers.
As a business coach and ADHD life coach for creative entrepreneurs and freelancers, this makes total sense to me. Some of the entrepreneurial traits that naturally occur in an ADHD-wired brain include:
- An ability to generate ideas all day long
- Creating new and novel connections between existing concepts
- Seeing connections and opportunities where more linear thinkers don’t
- Thriving when there are a variety of ideas and topics at play
- Higher tolerance for risk and change
- Highly empathetic and adaptable
- An ability to hyperfocus on topics of interest
If anyone can bring a fresh perspective and novel solution to a problem, it’s an ADHD creative!
The flip side of all this idea-generating fabulousness is that ADHD presents some real organizational and execution challenges that, left unmanaged, can seriously slow your entrepreneurial roll.
Those challenges might include:
- Motivation and procrastination
- Prioritization and organization
- Time management
- Managing your finances
- Emotional sensitivity
- Feeling overwhelmed
Those are some serious speedbumps to contend with, and while you’ve no doubt been told that if you “just” make a list/put it on a calendar/try harder/be less sensitive you’ll succeed, you and I both know it’s not that simple.
What if thriving as an ADHD creative is less about focusing on your weaknesses (and shoring those up) and more about (1) knowing how and why your difference adds value (2) who you work best with, and (3) under what conditions you thrive best? How would your life and business be different?
Want to find out?
I’m excited to be leading a workshop for the Freelancer’s Union called Business Strategies for ADHD Creatives and I’d love for you to join me!
I will share a flexible framework that will help you:
- Define who you are, how you’re different, and why it matters
- Identify who your ideal clients are and why
- Develop the systems, processes, and activities that help you deliver outstanding results
If you’re ready to transform a chaotic patchwork of freelance gigs into a profitable and fulfilling creative business, sign up for this interactive workshop and let’s do this!